[linux-dvb] Re: Fusion HDTV 5

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:16:53PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 06:52:26AM -0400, Michael Krufky wrote:
> > It would be nice to hear good test results from you using this card w/
> > QAM64 ... So far, QAM64 is the only untested modulation.  (I had GREAT
> > results w/ QAM256, and Mac has done his tests using 8VSB) ...
>
> As I said on another message sent to the v4l list, I have found a
> neighbor who gets digital cable.  I am going to rebuild my spare
> computer this afternoon to take over there tonight or tomorrow and
> scan on a known good cable.

Here are the results from this effort.

A QAM64 scan detected 150 or so entries on 18 frequencies and a QAM256
scan detected about 15 entries on 5 frequencies.  Is it expected to
see both modulations used on the same cable?

One thing I'm a bit puzzled by is that nearly all entries have 0 for
the video pid.  For example, most frequencies have a handful of
entries with different audio pids but the same video pid of 0.  Is
that normal?

I didn't want to impose on my neighbor any more than I already was, so
I didn't do an exhaustive check of every detected entry.  I tried
around 35 or so and was never able to find a signal with azap.

Unless anyone has other suggestions to try, I guess everything on my
cable system is encrypted.  I'm dissapointed, but not terribly
surprised by that.  I'll just go to my backup plan which is to hold
onto the card and use its ATSC capabilities when I get an HDTV.

Finally, my Fusion card still has a very poor picture using NTSC
capture (very high brightness and washed out colors) so any help with
that would also be appreciated.

David
--
David Engel