Clarify Menuconfig question (Was Re: [linux-dvb] Avermedia 771 and kernel 2.6.13-rc6)

Patrick Keane wrote:

> Michael Krufky wrote:
>
>> Patrick Keane wrote:
>>
>>> I have just tried to configure a couple of Avermedia 771 cards into
>>> kernel-2.6.13-rc6. I am assuming all patches are incorporated in
>>> 2.6.13 as I cannot see any pertinent patches in the DVB cvs patch
>>> directory.
>>> Is this correct?
>>> I originally tried gentoo-2.6.12, but it appears that needs patching!
>>
>> For 2.6.12, apply this patch:
>> http://linuxtv.org/download/patches/2.6.12/DVB-2.6.12.patch.gz
>>
>>> Using 2.6.13, I cannot get the "CONFIG_DVB_BT8XX=M" item to appear
>>> in the menuconfig menu, despite setting "CONFIG_DVB=y" and
>>> "CONFIG_DVB_CORE=M", consequently there is no dvb-bt8xx module built.
>>
>> The name of the option you need to look for is called:
>>
>> config DVB_BT8XX
>>        tristate "Nebula/Pinnacle PCTV/Twinhan PCI cards"
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Many thanks!
>
> I now have two frontends... Got to compile Tzap etc and try the cards
> next - keeping my fingers crossed!
>
> That was the only option in menuconfig I had not tried.
>
> It would be great for other puzzled people if the menconfig text could
> be clarified at that point,  because I have Avermedia cards, why
> should I select Nebula/Pinacle/Twinham cards ???????

Patrick-

I have noticed this, and I agree with you... I am currently working on
dvb-bt8xx ... I am working on adding support for DViCO FusionHDTV5 Lite,
using bttv and lgdt3303 demod.  When I get this working, or on my next
commit (whichever comes next), I will change the description of
DVB_BT8XX within Kconfig to something (hopefully) more meaningfull.  The
Description line should be something more indicative of the bttv chip.
Maybe I'll change this sooner than later...  it's a minor fix, we'll
see.  I cc'd Johannes... He might want to be the one to make this change
before i have a chance.  I don't think that
Nebula/Pinnacle/Twinham/AverMedia/DViCO need be mentioned at all in the
one-liner description.... maybe in the longer text blob description.

Johannes-

This minor Kconfig fix might be good for 2.6.13 ... it may help to
reduce confusion... If you dont fix this before I get home tonight, I'll
commit a change to cvs.  Unrelated, I sent you an email a few weeks ago
asking you not to submit lgdt330x changes upstream until the cx88-dvb
counterpart is ready.  As of now, 2.6.13 DOES include recent versions of
both cx88-dvb and lgdt330x, and there are some minor fixes inside
lgdt330x that can be merged upstream whenever you feel like sending more
patches.  These recent changes don't need to go right now, but I am just
giving you the heads up that we arent held back by cx88-dvb any
longer... the v4l & dvb trees are in sync again, with respect to
cx88-dvb.  (the dependency problems are gone, for now)  Any changes from
this point on can be merged at your leisure, unless the interface
changes again.

-MiKE Krufky