[linux-dvb] Re: FusionHDTV Linux Drivers

Todd Ignasiak wrote:

>I saw your messages on the DVB mailing list regarding the driver
>updates for FusionHDTV cards with ATSC/QAM.    I have been using a
>FusionHDTV card in Windows for a long time (along with a MyHD card),
>and I'm not building a Linux partition on that box to give the new
>drivers a try with MythTV.

You're NOT building??? I bet this is a typo ;-)

>Are the latest drivers, with all the necessary patches available in
>the DVB cvs?

Not exactly.... I've attached instructions below.

>Is there a specific snapshot you would recommend?    Are
>there any other "gotchas" you ran into when getting your FusionHDTV
>card running?

Currently there is a problem with QAM256 ... Something is wrong with the
init code, and we're working on that this week... Hopefully we'll have
it fixed soon (no promises).  Until then, you must FIRST scan VSB
frequencies before scanning QAM frequencies.  After doing that, you
should be able to get a lock in QAM.

I'm also having a problem with the mpeg ts... The stream dies after a
short time.  I wrote about it on the linux-dvb list, subject:
[linux-dvb] Intermittent problem using qam256 w/ lgdt3302 + mplayer
output.  Hopefully someone will provide some ideas on how to tackle
this.  I am having this problem with my Gold-T card, but Mac is NOT
having this problem with his Gold-Q card.

>I'm using Ubuntu linux (x86-64 version), with their 2.6.10 kernel,
>with the FusionHDTV3 QAM card (
>http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/fusion3qam.asp ).
>I'm hoping to just patch the driver updates into my current 2.6.10
>kernel.
>
>Thanks in advance for any pointers,
>Todd

The drivers will NOT work with linux 2.6.10.  Because of some changes in
the more recent kernels, you will need 2.6.12 or later.  Do one of the
following:

A) Download kernel source 2.6.13-rc2-mm1 (or later) or 2.6.13-rc2-git2
(or later).  (if instructions for getting these kernels are needed, let
me know)
   1) compile with the following selected:
      - Video4Linux
         - Conexant 2388x (bt878 successor) support
         - DVB Support for cx2388x based TV cards  (this will
automatically select the lgdt3302 frontend)
      - DVB for Linux
      - DVB Core

-or-

B) Download kernel source 2.6.12 (or 2.6.12.1 or 2.6.12.2) ... (current
mainline kernel)
   1) compile with the following selected:
      - Video4Linux (AS A MODULE)
         (none of the specific chips or cards support should be selected
AT ALL if compiling against 2.6.12)
      - DVB for Linux
      - DVB Core (AS A MODULE)
   2) Retrieve most recent copy of Video4Linux CVS
      - cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/video4linux login
      - cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/video4linux co
video4linux

Support for these boards is in video4linux cvs, NOT linuxtv (linux-dvb)
.... Linux-dvb contains the latest lgdt3302 frontend driver, but not
support for the actual board.  A copy of the latest version of the
LGDT3302 frontend driver exists within video4linux cvs for this exact
reason. If you are going to try using onf of the 2.6.13 kernels, then
you don't have to worry about cvs at all.

I'm very happy to hear of your interest in testing the drivers... We
need testers!

Please send me any (and all) bug reports, and be sure to CC the lists.
Mac Michaels is the author of the lgdt3302 frontend driver, and I have
been helping him to organize and resolve some of the bug reports etc.
He reads the linux-dvb list regularly, so it is important to cc any bug
reports to the list.

I have CC'd this to both lists, as this is a hybrid board, and falls
into both categories.  Hopefully the instructions that I've provided
above will be helpfull for other FusionHDTV3 Gold users.

video4linux list-    video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
linux-dvb-            linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx

Good Luck!

--