[linux-dvb] Re: CA_ZAP/DVB libs

On Thursday 07 July 2005 13:04, Manu Abraham wrote:
> Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > There does seem to be a lot of malloc()/relloc() ing going on in the SI
> > stuff though...
>
> We have to rework those parts.. We will need to have some work done in
> there..
> That's why i said it might be a good idea to import it into CVS and
> apply the required stuff than all the unnecessary cruft.

Yup. we need to decide this soon - I want to get coding again!

Currently we have three options - like buses there are none for ages and then
three dvb libraries come along at once :)

*) libdvbsi/liben50221/libdvbcfg

These are in CVS. liben50221 is really only useful for Twinhan cards just now
'cos it doesn't implement the lower layers.

I don't quite know the status of libdvbsi just now.

libdvbcfg is complete, apart from preset files - but I think those can wait
for a bit.

There is no infrastructure support.

No tuning/frontend support.

*) libdvb2

This has a more complete en50221 implementation with the lower levels. It also
implements SI parsing and has infrastructure support for dealing with the
various DVB concepts - adapters, frontends etc. This still needs lots of
work.

No tuning/frontend support yet.

*) libdvbsak

This would need lots of work to make it do what we want - e.g. using callbacks
instead of parsing structures completely/malloc()ing.

It supports SI parsing, infrastructure, tuning, and some config file support.
Tuning is going to be rewritten. Config file support has been superceded by
libdvbcfg.

This library has had the most development time.

All are LGPL. All need lots of work.

So we've got several different attempts at implementing this stuff. We need to
decide what (if anything) to take from each ASAP.