[linux-dvb] skystar2 on kernel 2.4.20

Hi

> We are currently working on having a skystar2 running on a kernel 2.4.20
> (redhat 8)
> Skystar version is 2.6c.

I'm running the dvb-kernel drivers on 2.4.20-8 (RH9) without problem
(although my CVS checkout is a few months old). I however have a
Hauppauge Nova-CI card, so I can't comment on the Skystar support, but
I don't think the kernel is a problem.

> The problem we encounter is the following: the dvb drivers available are
> for kernel < 2.4.19 or kernel >= 2.4.23.
> There is no kernel update from redhat for version greater than 2.4.20.
>
> >From what we understood, contraints on kernel version are due to
> video4linux. Our goal is to do network only with no mpeg2.
>
> Here is the procedure we have tried:
>    * checkout from cvs: cvs -z3 -d
> :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvs/linuxtv co -rlinux_2_4 dvb-kernel
>    * executing MAKEDEV.sh
>    * compile the dvb drivers:
>         make in folder build-2.4. There does not seem to have errors
>    * make install
>    * load, manually dvb drivers in the following order:
>         insmod.sh load

The procedure looks fine. Just make sure the devices set up by the
MAKEDEV-DVB.sh script were actually created and have the correct
device number (212).

> In /var/log/message, we see a line saying that card was found and
> frontend 0:0 is registered (from /var/log/messages)

You need to provide this output, otherwise we can't see whether the
drivers loaded correctly.

> But when launching szap, we get a /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0:
>
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
> opening frontend failed: No such device

Do a "ls -lR /dev/dvb*'" to confirm the devices actually exist.

Werner