[linux-dvb] Nova-T (TT L64781) TS Continuity problems

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 06:31:19PM +0100, Allan Guild wrote:
> I'm having problems getting an old TT (L64781 frontend) based Nova-T
> working with the current DVB drivers and a 2.6.11 kernel.
>
> The video and audio hangs for a few seconds once or twice a minute and
> the debug messages in /var/log/syslog report "TS continuity errors".
>
> This card works perfectly with the DVB drivers in a Mandrake 9.2 stock
> kernel (2.4.22).

I have no idea what Mandrake has in their 2.4 kernels. Do you
have more information?

> I am getting the same problems described above using a snapshot from
> before the frontend refactoring (here I used the same grundig frontend
> as with 2.4.22 kernel) and a 2.6.8 kernel.
>
> I also have a connexant based Nova-T that is working fine under both my
> 2.6.x setups (I believe that this card requires a 2.6 kernel).
>
> >From browsing the archives, I noticed that similar problems with a
> tda10021 frontend were fixed with a register change.  I'm under the
> impression that this fix is not relevant for my setup, but please
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I'm more than willing to try different things to try and get this
> working, but I don't really know where to start.

You could compare the old and new drivers for differences
in register settings (both initial and what set_frontend()
and grundig_29504_401_pll_set() in budget.c does) and timing.

A good start might be to load the driver (dvb-core) with
frontend_debug=1 and see what it does. Then maybe look at
l64781_get_tune_settings() and play with the values. I would
try to set step_size and max_drift to 0 to disable zig-zag
(not that usefule IMHO for dvb-t) and maybe increase min_delay_ms.