[linux-dvb] really poor video performance XVideo/YV12 on Shuttle S3 UniChrome ?

Simon Baxter wrote:
> Hi Group.
>
> I've just built up my Shuttle PC with built-in S3 UniChrome card.
>
> The video playback performance for DVB and DVD are REALLY poor.  Lots of
> skipping and staggered picture.
>
> [ hint ] Your X server doesn't support YV12 overlays.
>         That means xine will have to do color space transformation and
> scaling
>         in software, which is quite CPU intensive. Maybe upgrading your
>         X server will help here.
>         If you have an ATI card, you'll find accelerated X servers on
>         http://www.linuxvideo.org/gatos/
>         press <enter> to continue...
>
> [ hint ] Your X server doesn't have any XVideo support...
>         XVideo is an X server extension introduced by XFree86 4.x. This
>         extension provides access to hardware accelerated color space
>         conversion and scaling, which gives a great performance boost.
>         If you have a fast (>1GHz) machine, you may be able to watch all
>         kinds of video, anyway. You will waste lots of CPU cycles,
> though...
>         press <enter> to continue...

The above messages say it all. To get proper performance you need an X
server that supports your card. I had a similar card a couple of years
ago, and think I remember finding some unsupported builds of X with
limited driver support. But if you have a slot available and $30 you
might want to get yourself a low-end nvidia card (which has the
necessary hardware accelerated X drivers with xv support).

Marius K.