[linux-dvb] Problems with Nova T USB 2.0 Tuning

Patrick Boettcher wrote:

> Hi Malc,
>
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Malc wrote:
>
>> The signal to the box is good, (checked with another Nova T pci card),
>>
>> The USB box seems to install ok (see kernel below), but I cannot get
>> scan or tzap to work... It seems to find the first multiplex, but not
>> the rest (see trace below)
>>
>> Is it something to do with the "will use the device's hw PID
>> filter.", if so how do I use it? or have I done something wrong here
>

>> May  3 21:34:37 firebird kernel: dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:0d:fe:02:45:d5
>

> Btw. is this MAC address correct? (see the bottom of your box).
> Reading this MAC address is just a guess in the driver.
>
>> initial transponder 754166670 0 3 9 1 0 0 0

>> WARNING: filter timeout pid 0x0010
>

> This is because the PID filter is in use. For this box I needed to
> have 4096 bytes URB buffers (for some reason smaller ones crashed my
> system).
> When only one pid is filtered (especially section PIDs such as NIT
> 0x0010) the URBs will return very lately (because they won't get
> filled enough).
>
> A solution sometimes is to raise the filter-timeout by saying:
>
> dvbscan -5

Ok... the -5 option gives me a full list of channels (Same as I get with
the PCI card!).. excellent!

>> ......#./tzap "BBC ONE"
>> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
>> reading channels from file '/root/.tzap/channels.conf'
>> tuning to 754166670 Hz
>> video pid 0x0258, audio pid 0x0259
>

> Wow, that is strange. Can you please paste the line of the
> channels.conf for this channel?

Doh! the problem was an out of date channels.conf (and therefore wrong
pids! - read the output!).... with the extended scan I've been to
confirm all the channels.... thanks for the prompt help.

Now to set it up in MythTV!

-malc-

btw. The instructions were pretty straightforward... you might want to
remind people to ensure that hotplug is installed (I had to apt-get
install them). Beyond that, I just compiled and installed!