[linux-dvb] Re: reply-to modification

Hello,

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Dominique Dumont (DD) wrote:
>
> DD> > That's a good question .. Maybe this should be started off as a
> DD> > separate thread. So that others too can exchange their views..
> DD>
> DD> This has often been subject of flame-war on various mailing lists.
> DD>
> DD> Here's a well-thought argument against:
> DD>
> DD>   http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> there are as many arguments _for_ a reply-to set to the list.

These "well-thoughts" arguments are not really well thought in my eyes.
I subscribed to the mailing list, because I want to get mails from the mailing list and I want
to send mails to it.
So the mails I get are from the mailing list, so I do not see any real reasen why a reply-to
should not go to the mailing list.

> DD> When a mailing list modifies reply-to, I usually set-up my mail reader
> DD> to clobber it for the reasons expressed by the author of the
> DD> reply-to-harmful paper.
 >

> I do a similar thing "the other way around", set my mail filters to add a
> reply-to field to mailing list posts.

My mail reader (thunderbird) is not able to do that, so most time I made a reply, it does not go
to the list, because I forget to change the mail-adress. And thats really annoying.

> The only perfect solution would be if every subscriber could
> enable/disable the reply-to header in his settings on the lists management
> site. (the site where you can define if you want digests or not)

Great idea !

--
Helmut Auer, helmut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx