[linux-dvb] Converting TS file to DVD format

Eric Vaandering wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I haven't had time to check
> them all out yet, but I still don't have a working solution. (replex
> still gives me the  "Audio pts moves backwards" error.)
>
> I think part of the issue is the source of these. It's not DVB as I
> understand it, so maybe I am on the wrong list, but this seemed like
> the best place to ask.
>
> These files are from a Motorola DVR and are captured via firewire and
> Windows XP. I can either use CapDVHS or VLC to capture them. Then they
> are transferred to my linux system.
>
> If anyone wants a shot at one minute clips in three different
> resolutions, they are on the web:
>
> http://www.hep.vanderbilt.edu/~vondo/video/analog.ts
> http://www.hep.vanderbilt.edu/~vondo/video/digital.ts
> http://www.hep.vanderbilt.edu/~vondo/video/hdtv.ts
>
> If anyone can get these translated into a valid VOB, I'd be most
> appreciative.
>
> Eric

using mencoder straight from cvs:

$ mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:vbitrate=9000 -o digital.dvd
-oac copy -ovc copy digital.ts
(and the same for the other two, with the exception that hdtv.ts must be
re-encoded with
valid resolution).

I patched the bitrate because the nominal 15000 in digital.ts (that
seems to be fake) is not correct for dvd.
Besides a resolution of 528x480 is not valid either, but most modern
players will accept it, so re-encoding
is not worth the hassle.

For hdtv the basic command is:

$ mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:vbitrate=9000 -o hdtv.dvd -oac
copy -ovc lavc \
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:mbd=2:aspect=16/9:vpass=1 -vf
scale=720:-10,expand=720:480

that you can extend how you like best.

Next you can pass the .dvd files to dvdauthor.

    Nico