[linux-dvb] Re: A suggestion required...

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>
>> Manu Abraham wrote:
>>
>>> I have been working on the Twinhan and Twinhan clone card drivers, i
>>> mean both FTA and CI based ones..
>>>

>>> The FTA cards do look like most standard cards, whereas the CI based
>>> cards are a bit different from others..
>>>
>>> The reason why the CI based cards do differ from the others is that
>>> there is no Transport Layer visible to the driver, but does exists in
>>> some form in the Firmware, and nothing can be done about it ..
>>>
>>> So here i am at a point, ready to write a layer/library that would
>>> make it more adaptable to DVB applications..
>>

>> Since you Cc'd Klaus: VDR already contains a CI library, and I guess
>> he's not eager to include another one. It would be nice if you
>> could point out to him what needs to be changed in VDR to support
>> Twinhan-style CI, or maybe even send him a patch. But you
>> better sort that out on the vdr mailing list.
>>
>> Johannes
>

> I wouldn't like to implement a special method of CI handling just

That would mean i have to make my own hardware ? Damn..

> for one particular hardware. You should make the interface behave

It is not one single hardware, but it is an entire family of cards..

> just like the existing one - then you can use VDR right out of the box.

It is not a special method, but only thing is that everything is in
Application layer, rather than Transport layer.
I was not looking at using it straight out of the box..

Anyway, thanks for replying..

Manu