Re: Move wlan-ng out of staging?

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 05:11:04PM +0100, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> >> I'm helping Greg do a bit of cleanup in the staging tree, I noticed that
> >> wlan-ng driver is maybe ready to be moved out of staging. Are there
> >> any TODO tasks left to do beside checkpatch.pl clean-up?
> >
> > Its FAQ was very clear: ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/FAQ
> > [archived at http://puppylinux.dreamhosters.com/wireless/linux-wlan-org_FAQ.txt ]

As author of that particular FAQ entry (written nearly ten years ago)
let me say that nothing in there has any bearing on the situation that
exists today.

At the time, I didn't think it was worth the significant effort to get
prism2_usb into the mainline, but obviously some enterprising folks
disagreed with me, and eventually put forth the elbow grease necessary
to get it into -staging and all of the subsequent cleanups.

From where I sit, the basic question is this: Is the prism2_usb driver
now considered good enough to promote out of -staging? If not, what
needs doing and who is willing to see it through?  If it is, then just
do it already.  :)

Oh, I'm still hosting the firmware files needed for this thing, and I
see a consistent 4K or so downloads a month.  So there are obviously
users out there still.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^