Re: Anybody working on line6?

Am 24.06.2014 16:12, schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 11:54:10AM +0800, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Kristina Martšenko
<kristina.martsenko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm helping Greg do a bit of cleanup in the staging tree. I noticed that
nobody seems to have worked towards moving line6 out of staging in over
a year. Are there any plans to clean it up and move it out soon? Because
otherwise we're going to have to delete the driver, as we don't want
staging to become a permanent place for unfinished code.

I do not have time to resume the work and am moving to new hardware in
a few weeks.

Do you know of anyone else using this hardware on Linux?

Markus Grabner is the maintainer and still the best person to involve.
A while ago I did an online poll among Line6 users and asked who is interested in Linux software for Line6 devices, and 2725 people registered, so it's not just Stefan and me :-)

People have popped up from time to time on the line6linux-devel
mailing list but no one has stuck around:
http://sourceforge.net/p/line6linux/mailman/line6linux-devel/

It's a shame since the driver is in a pretty good position for further
cleanups and a move out of staging/.  There's not that much left to do
but the rate of progress at the moment is zero.

If the code is "almost" ready to move, what do you think is left to do?

1. Run checkpatch.pl again to make sure there are no coding style
issues remaining.

2. Audit remaining sysfs attributes and drop them where possible.  I
killed off the easy ones which just sent MIDI messages that userspace
can send just as easily.  Now only the weird ones are left:

drivers/staging/line6/pcm.c:static DEVICE_ATTR_RW(impulse_volume);
drivers/staging/line6/pcm.c:static DEVICE_ATTR_RW(impulse_period);
drivers/staging/line6/pod.c:static DEVICE_ATTR_RO(device_id);
drivers/staging/line6/pod.c:static DEVICE_ATTR_RO(firmware_version);
drivers/staging/line6/pod.c:static DEVICE_ATTR_RO(serial_number);
drivers/staging/line6/toneport.c:static DEVICE_ATTR(led_red, S_IWUSR |
S_IRUGO, line6_nop_read,
drivers/staging/line6/toneport.c:static DEVICE_ATTR(led_green, S_IWUSR
| S_IRUGO, line6_nop_read,
I agree that it's better to have a stripped down driver than no driver at all. My impression is that most people are using the driver to access their Line6 device as an audio interface, which works well (at least I didn't receive bug reports in the past few years). If the above attributes prevent moving the driver out of the staging area, feel free to remove them. Once my children are older and I have more time :-), I can consider adding some of them again in a proper way...

	Kind regards,
		Markus