Re: octeon-usb and dwc2 in staging are for the same hw

On 08/16/2013 02:07 PM, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:51:57PM +0000, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
From: Aaro Koskinen [mailto:aaro.koskinen@xxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 1:45 PM

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 06:35:10PM +0000, Paul Zimmerman wrote:
Aaro, I would ask you the same question. Is the Octeon driver fully
functional? Are there any shortcomings with it that you know about?

I sent this driver when mainlining the support for EdgeRouter Lite
(http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax), and at the time I thought it was purely
Octeon specific HCD driver (the source code does not give much hits
about the actual HW block, and the vendor's GPL tar ball is my only
documentation). On that hardware it works well - I have run stress tests
with duration of couple of days with the mainline kernel and never
seen any stability or any other issues. But if you consider it as a
general purpose DWC2 driver it's probably a pile of crap, as it's full
Octeon-specific hacks and assumptions.

octeon-usb doesn't support device mode operation, only host mode.

As far as host mode operation is concerned, I know of no deficiencies.

If all the problems RaspberryPi users have had with the DWC2 driver have been fixed, I have no problem with making OCTEON work with that driver. Otherwise, to say that octeon-usb has shortcomings is a bit disingenuous.

I haven't been following DWC2 driver development, so I don't really know its current status.

David Daney