Re: VME and the staging tree

On 02/11/11 10:30, Manohar Vanga wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> With the cleaned up code in the VME driver, do you think we can get it out
> of staging and into the main driver tree?

I haven't had a lot of time to look over the code yet, but I don't think it's
quite there yet.

> Please let me know if there are any more changes that need to be made and I
> will work on those ASAP.

A few things I've noticed so far:

We now have functions vme_add_bus() and vme_remove_bus(). These seem to only
be called from vme_register_bridge() and vme_unregister_bridge(), these
functions being:

  int vme_register_bridge(struct vme_bridge *bridge)
  {
          return vme_add_bus(bridge);
  }
  EXPORT_SYMBOL(vme_register_bridge);

  void vme_unregister_bridge(struct vme_bridge *bridge)
  {
          vme_remove_bus(bridge);
  }
  EXPORT_SYMBOL(vme_unregister_bridge);

vme_add_bus() and vme_remove_bus() really don't need to be separate functions
as far as I can tell.

The comment starting on line 98 of vme.h no longer matches vme_dev.

The comment starting on line 1419 of vme.c states that iterating over the list
is safe WRT driver probing because the probe function calls vme_bridge_get().
This function no longer exists and I can't quickly see this lock being sought
in the new probing code, so is it still safe?

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch (Principal Software Engineer) | Registered in England and
GE Intelligent Platforms                   | Wales (3828642) at 100