Re: PDF misery

Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It sounds like you have google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts installed on your
> system besides google-noto-sans-cjk-fonts.
>
> What does
>
>     fc-list | grep NotoSansCJK-VF.ttc
>
> say?

No output at all, even though I had google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts
installed.

> Uninstalling google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts (and
> google-noto-serif-cjk-vf-fonts in case you have it) should resolve
> the issue for you, that is if you can safely uninstall it/them.

Getting rid of google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts did indeed make the problem
go away.

> As the xeCJK package requires xelatex, variable fonts are not in
> our options, I guess.

So it seems.  I guess $WE should probably change
scripts/sphinx-pre-install to give a warning; I wonder if some defensive
changes to Documentation/sphinx/kerneldoc-preamble.sty would also make
sense?  My TeXpert days (such as they were) are decades behind me at
this point, so I'll be slow to do the latter part if it comes to that.

Thanks for your help on this!

jon