Re: PDF misery

On 17/02/2024 22:29, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
So, FYI, I have Vegard's PDF-generation fix applied here, but I've not
pushed it yet (even though I think it's fine) because I wanted to be
sure that all was well with PDF generation.  Bear with me as I ramble
for a bit...

This won't help with the immediate issue at hand, but I am trying to put
together something of a "docs CI" system that can pick up mailing list
patches and do builds against all the various OS/Sphinx/target combinations.

At least that was my takeaway from the recent couple of regressions I
introduced: I need (much) better tests than just running 'make htmldocs'
once or twice in my native environment.

I'm surprised that nobody else is reporting this problem.  I honestly
don't see a fix other than changing the organization of the document to
avoid both deeply nested itemized lists and section structure, which is
less than entirely desirable.  I think there are good reasons for
avoiding structures that deep, but limitations in the tooling aren't one
of them.

I don't know. Tooling limitations notwithstanding, the good reasons are
still there. HTML has no <h7> and that was clearly a "human" decision,
not a technological limit.

I think the "bug" here is really that Sphinx generated LaTeX code that
doesn't build -- and that it didn't warn about the problem in other
modes (maybe it does in newer versions, or maybe we overlooked the
warnings?).

If we'd had those warnings then we could have stopped those constructs
from entering the documentation sources to start with.

Meanwhile, I wish I knew what to do to make the PDF build a bit more
robust.  I wish that rst2pdf or rinohtype would progress to the point
where they could be used, and Latex could be taken out of the picture,
but no such luck.

We could maybe use the ".. only::" directive to "#ifdef out" the parts
that don't work with various output formats and then incrementally work
towards removing them while ensuring that the whole build still succeeds.

Vegard