Re: PDF misery

Hi Jon,

A few comments on PDF of CJK docs.

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 14:29:24 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> [...]
>
> The *other* problem is that PDF generation of the Chinese, Korean, or
> Japanese translations fails with:
>
>   xdvipdfmx:fatal: Invalid TTC index number
>
> This, I am thinking, is likely some sort of F39 bug.  xdvipdfmx is
> finding the CJK fonts just fine, but then something clearly goes wrong.
> I'll try to find the time to narrow that down and perhaps put in a
> proper bug report.

I think this is because xdvipdfmx accesses NotoSansCJK-VF.ttc, which is
a variable font.  xdvipdfmx/xetex can't work with such fonts (yet).
See note at the bottom for more info on variable fonts support.

It sounds like you have google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts installed on your
system besides google-noto-sans-cjk-fonts.

What does

    fc-list | grep NotoSansCJK-VF.ttc

say?

I'm wondering why xdvipdfmx behaves that way despite the fontconfig
setting with:

        fc-match "Noto Sans CJK SC"

    returning:

        NotoSansCJK-Regular.ttc: "Noto Sans CJK SC" "Regular"

This might be a bug in xdvipdfmx worth reporting.  Or there might
be glitches in the fontconfig setting.

Uninstalling google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts (and
google-noto-serif-cjk-vf-fonts in case you have it) should resolve
the issue for you, that is if you can safely uninstall it/them.

* Note on variable fonts support:

In the announcement of LaTeX fontspec package v2.9a release [1], there is
an entry:

    - Support variable fonts under LuaLaTeX.

It is not explicitly mentioned there, but in the opening paragraph
of Part III "Selecting font features" Chapter 7 "Variable fonts" of
fontspec's package documentation, there is a sentence which reads:

    Currently OpenType variable fonts are only supported in LuaTEX, while
    Multiple Master fonts only work with XETEX.

As the xeCJK package requires xelatex, variable fonts are not in
our options, I guess.

[1]: https://ctan.org/ctan-ann/id/mailman.6477.1707925238.3764.ctan-ann@xxxxxxxx

HTH, Akira