Status report.

Sorry I've been a bit incommunicado.  Following up the scsi documentation I
upgraded my laptop to Kubuntu 7.10 (everything broke, that cost me about 4
days), and then put the build scripts back together after I broke them up.

As the mercurial repository comments say (http://landley.net/hg/kdocs revision
83 and up), I broke make.sh into a bunch of functions so I can call a subset
of its functionality without turning it into a nest of --options.  The new
file is make/functions.sh, which is sourced from make/make.sh.  The full
build is now "make/make.sh --long", which redoes htmldocs (very long) and the
RFC search (somewhat long).

This also means I shouldn't accidentally blank the htmldocs directory anymore,
because it and Documentation are independent of each other now.  (I'll
probably replace the setuplinuxtemp() function's copy of linux/hg to
linux/temp with a mercurial clone instead, because that creates hardlinks.
Once I confirm that patch breaks hardlinks.  I think it does.)

I'm also hip-deep in untangling the "make htmldocs" infrastructure, as
commented upon in my blog (http://landley.net/notes.html).  It turns out I do
have to modify the perl code to get it to show both internal and external
symbols in the same pass (and annotate the exported symbols with the _type_
of export that was done).  I'm not good with perl.  Banging on it anyway...

Filling out master.idx/index.html continues, although it's somewhat low
priority still.  (I've been told to work on DocBook/htmldocs stuff instead).
Obviously, I haven't made the November 8th deadline, but I'm still working
towards filling in the rest of the sections and advertising the
kernel.org/doc site to the community as a resource.

I should have more to say on the Docbook stuff next time I check in.  (I've
been on the road since Tuesday, this is the first chance I've had to connect
to the internet since then.  Yay laptops.)

There's bits in my blog:

  So "sed -n 's/^!.//p' Documentation/DocBook/*.tmpl" produces a list of
  300 file imports of which 184 are sourced for Exported symbols, and 111 for
  Internal symbols.  (There are also 4 F references and 1 D reference.)
  Sorting for unique files gives 271, so several are imported more than once.

Which leads naturally to fixing docproc.c and scripts/kernel-doc to annotate
export types.  (That script apparently comes from somewhere else, and large
chunks of it are code the kernel build doesn't seem to use.)  But that's just
one thread.  Other fun things to do: get a list of files with docbook
comments but no *.tmpl file pointing to them.  Get a list of files with
exported symbols but not docbook comments.  Get a list of files that have
both internal and external symbols but aren't having both kinds extracted.
Move all the the symbol exports to the same file as the functions are
_defined_ in (as CodingStyle says), to facilitate more than one of the above.
And then write new *.tmpl files to fill in gaps...

I'm still on the road and this is the first spot of internet access I've had
to flush a couple days of work to the net.  I'll catch up more later in the
week...

Anyway, still alive, still working.  Still accepting patches to fill out
chunks of the top level index.html, add new sections to it, reorganize it,
etc... :)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-