Another progress report.

Sorry I haven't been checking in here more often, I need to remember to do
that.  I've had my head down trying to get http://kernel.org/doc ready for
some kind of public launch.  (Possibly I can talk Jonathan Corbet into
reviewing it when I get all the sections filled in.)

The OLS papers all have title and author through 2007 at http://kernel.org/ols
and I've sprinked 2001 and bits of 2002 into master.idx.  (Right now it's
mostly just links under the appropriate sections.)

I've also been writing topic summary material for the master index, mostly
working from the beginning and the end towards the middle.  There's stuff on
configuring and building the kernel at the beginning, some badly
edited/unfinished material on the history of source control in the Linux
kernel at the end, and other stuff scattered throughout.  I'm currently
trying to figure out where to put the "modifying the kernel yourself"
section, with links to coding-style and so on.  That's all in my blog:
http://landley.net/notes.html

Note that my "git quickstart" document is finally finished and public in the
source control section near the end.  I've gotten some good feedback on it
and need to integrate some suggestions about what to do when git bisect hits
a build break, but I need to test them first.

I've been pushing patches for Documentation/* kernel-wards for a few weeks
now.  The 00-INDEX patches collected in Andrew Morton's tree for a while and
then he flushed them upstream.  He's taken about 1/3 of them so far (they
should be in 2.6.24-rc1), and I've got more queued up to send.

I've also been adding Section IDs to the htmldocs xml files, both so they
don't emit warnings when the build and so I can stably deep link into them
from the master index.  (The warnings are that you're getting more or less
randomly generated #tags that change from build to build.)

This week's distractions were twofold:

1) I figured out how to download and rebuild kernel-traffic so I can mirror it
(and possibly extend it towards the present) at http://kernel.org/doc/kt (no,
it's not there yet).  This turns out to be kind of difficult: it consists of
nested makefiles that call xslt, pretty much kryptonite for me.  I've
actually got it built, I'm just trying to separate kernel-traffic from the
kernel-cousins so I don't have to mirror the whole thing.

2) I made a script to grep through the kernel for mentions of IETF RFC
documents (generally in comments) and make a page linking to the RFC and the
files that reference them.  http://kernel.org/doc/rfc-linux.html (see
mercurial for the script).

My goal is to make kernel.org/doc something I can point LWN at and publicly
launch by the end of the month.  Eight more days to go.  (Although I should
get it in a day or two early so it makes it in time for the November 1 kernel
section.)

Anybody want to help out with the big push? :)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-