Re: How's linux-doc going?

On Thursday 13 September 2007 4:18:35 pm Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:46:41 -0500 Rob Landley wrote:
> > Once again, "distribute it with the kernel" is seen as some kind of
> > magic. It's not.  Honest and truly it's not.  It just means that updating
> > the documentation results in your post getting lost in the noise on
> > linux-kernel and having to go through the four-layer bureaucracy
> > (developer, maintainer, sour cream, lieutenant, baked beans, Andrew,
> > Linus) with somebody objecting along the way that your patch has the
> > signed-off-by line in the wrong position and you forgot to include three
> > magic dashes as mentioned section 14 paragraph 21 of
> > Documentation/SubmittingPatches (no seriously, look it up), and in any
> > case you weren't supposed to send it to THIS list you should have sent it
> > to netfilter-devel (didn't you read
> > http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html?  What's wrong with you?) and then
> > it's still being ignored after the third repost two months later...
>
> We all sometimes have to send patches more than one time before they
> are merged.

I'm aware of this.  How does that support the "merging improves documentation
maintenance" hypothesis?

Code stops building if it's out of date.  Everybody notices, and lots of
people can bisect git to see what changed and either how to fix it or who to
blame.  Documentation going out of date does not break the build.

> > Among other things, I'm interested in documenting system calls and
> > ioctls.  I didn't even know "man 2 syscalls" existed until last week.  (I
> > was pulling up man 2 syscall and not getting an index. :)  There isn't a
> > man page for ioctls but I can start with: find /usr/include/linux -type f
> > | xargs grep "_IO.("
>
> and with Documentation/ioctl*

Huh, I was confusing that with Documentation/sysctl.  (Why is ioctl-number.txt
not in Documentation/ioctl?  Rhetorical question, of course...)

Cool, good to know.  Thanks.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-