Re: Internationalization.

On Friday 03 August 2007 12:02:35 am Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > I also don't recommend checking translated documentation into the kernel
> > tarball, but that isn't my call.  I notice that Greg KH disagrees with
> > basically every issue I've ever talked to him about.  I haven't tried
> > reverse psychology on him yet to see if it's causal, but see
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/242541/ and note that I expect it to be merged.
> > *shrug*  Oh well.  (I'm not maintaining it, I can't even read it.  Not my
> > problem.)
>
> Has been merged.

Yeah, I expected that.

> FWIW, I agree that the translations are better kept
> outside the kernel tree, at various language-specific sites.

Not my problem.  If they want to try to keep it up to date, fine.  The ones
I'm linking to in the index I'm making are the ones on the language-specific
sites, which are the upstream sources for those docs.

> > Another issue is which documentation to translate?  The primary goal is
> > to translate the community documentation; many developers have some
> > technical English but get hung up on cultural issues.  I proposed a list
> > (see http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/12/243 ), which seems to have been
> > accepted (with a few corrections) as a reasonable starting point.
>
> Just policy docs, not technical ones, right?

Yup.

> Problem is that some of them cross those lines (i.e., it's not a black/white
> question).

I agree it's not black and white, but if keeping policy and implementation
separate are a design criteria it's possible to split up problematic
documents.

It's kind of far down on the todo list at the moment...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-