Internationalization.

This month I participated in several long threads about translating kernel
documentation into other languages, primarily Japanese and Chinese.  (I cc'd
some but not all of them here.)

http://kernel.org/doc now links to the websites http://www.linux.or.jp and
http://zh-kernel.org, which are respectively japanese and chinese linux
kernel communities that have offered to translate documentation.  (I asked if
it made more sense to link directly to the documentation or to the top level
communities, and was consistently told the top level.)

A big issue during the debate was that translating documentation encourages
the creation of patches that cannot be merged into the kernel, because the
developers of the patch don't have the English language skills necessary to
submit their patch to linux-kernel and answer questions about it from other
developers.  Matt Mackall proposed the position of language maintainer,
someone to translate descriptions and questions to facilitate patch
submissions from non-english developers.  I followed up up this and tracked
down some candidates for the position.  A chinese language maintainer (Li
Yang) has now accepted the position (see http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/12/199
and http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/13/173 ) and along the way I wrote up a
description of the position as I saw it.  (In this case, the language
maintainer is actually a single point of contact for a mailing list of
translators.  See the thread for details.)

Another issue is keeping translations up to date.  On the advice of Eric
Raymond, I'm not hosting translated copies but instead linking to copies put
on the web by the translators.  Eric has found that if he hosts translations
of his writings, they never get updated.  If he links to translations hosted
by the translators, they get updated.

I also don't recommend checking translated documentation into the kernel
tarball, but that isn't my call.  I notice that Greg KH disagrees with
basically every issue I've ever talked to him about.  I haven't tried reverse
psychology on him yet to see if it's causal, but see
http://lwn.net/Articles/242541/ and note that I expect it to be merged.
*shrug*  Oh well.  (I'm not maintaining it, I can't even read it.  Not my
problem.)

Another issue is which documentation to translate?  The primary goal is to
translate the community documentation; many developers have some technical
English but get hung up on cultural issues.  I proposed a list (see
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/12/243 ), which seems to have been accepted (with
a few corrections) as a reasonable starting point.

Off-list I'm still in discussions with Satoru Ueda of Sony on finding a
Japanese language maintainer, and also what additional documentation needs to
be written to explain western open source culture to Japanese developers and
Japanese managers.  There are a dozen or so people cc'd on this thread (half
of them Japanese), and I've read books shorter than this thread.  Most of
it's about cultural differences; when it gets around to resulting in new
documentation for me to write I'll cc: that here.

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-