Refreshing Documentation from the kernel tarball.

The current automation infrastructure refreshes
http://kernel.org/doc/Documentation and http://kernel.org/doc/htmldocs from
the linux source control repository on kernel.org.  The script to do this is
in the mercurial archive at: http://landley.net/hg/kdoc/make/make.sh

Yes, I'm using the mercurial version of the kernel repository instead of the
git version; it's the same data and updated live when Linus checks stuff in.
(It would be easy enough to switch to git if there's a reason, but I prefer
Mercurial.)  The archive update at the beginning assumes you have a kernel
mercurial archive initialized in that directory on your machine, see the
commented out code near the top that shows how to do that.  The paths are all
relative to the user's home directory, that could be changed I just don't
have a personal reason to do so.

Copying Documentation is trivial.  The "make htmldocs" stuff less so; you need
xmlto installed.  I used to have a patch to have the kernel's makefile
produce the "one big chunk" versions, but I decided it was far easier to just
_do_ it than to try to make the kernel infrastructure do anything fancy.

I'm producing the "nochunks" and the "chunks" versions of the html: A URL
ending in .html shows you the "one big file", strip that off and it's a
directory containing the small chunk versions.  Which one you want turns out
to be a matter of personal preference and it's easy enough to provide both.
(I stole this idea from Douglas Gilbert over in SCSI land, see
http://sg.torque.net/scsi/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO.html and
http://sg.torque.net/scsi/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO for example.)

The "background process and then wait for it to finish" is because I have a
core 2 duo laptop and I want to take advantage of the SMP, xsltproc is
_really_slow_.  Yeah, it's an unnecessary complication but I wind up running
this script a lot, so...

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.
-