RE: another testmgr question

> > Some people did volunteer about a month ago but I haven't heard from
> > any of them since ... which means my fixes won't make it into any kernel
> > trees any day soon.
> >

> OK. Can you share your git tree again? I will try to ping some people.

Well, I just got a response, but in case anyone else is interested:
https://github.com/pvanleeuwen/linux.git, branch "is_driver_armada_fix"

> > You keep missing my point though ... I was not suggesting teaching
> > upper layers about zero lengths or any other hardware limitations.
> > My point is that the overal majory of the "upper layers" are known not
> > to need zero lengths or any of these other corner cases and our driver/
> > hardware doesn't really care about supporting the ones that do, because
> > those "upper layers" would not benefit from our driver/hardware anyway.
> >

> Yes, but 'are not known' today is not enough. Once we open that door,
> it becomes our responsibility as kernel maintainers to ensure that
> this remains the case.

No, the only responsibility it might add is the responsibility to
validate that driver X indeed still works with "upper layer" Y, and if
not, to update the drivers' README to remove that assertion.

But honestly how DO the kernel maintainers validate that driver X is
not broken, considering they may not have access to the actual hardware?
I don't really get the impression anyone is actively verifying the
Inside Secure driver is still working for every kernel release ...

So I think it's a pretty moot point - you're not doing that anyway.

> So i understand perfectly well that current in-kernel users may never
> issue crypto requests that exercise this code path. But the nice thing
> today is that we don't have to care about this at all, since zero
> length vectors are simply supported as well. Once we start
> distinguishing the two, we have to start policing this at *some* level
> rather than just pretend the issue isn't there and get bitten by it
> down the road.

I'm not pretending the issue isn't there. I just *know* I don't care
about the issue for my particular driver/hw at all because it's
irrelevant for the "upper layer"s I'm actually specifically targetting.

> So no, i am not missing your point. But I think we disagree on your
> conclusion that this permits is to optimize this case away and simply
> don't reason about it at all.

I never concluded to optimize the case away across the whole API.
Or not reasoning about it at all for that matter. Just for cutting
drivers some slack, under the explicit condition that they're not
ever selected as default implementation.

> > You know, all I *really* care about at this point is *just* supporting
> > the kernel IPsec stack. The rest is just baggage for me anyway.
> >

> I see.
>
> > It's all about preventing the "upper layers" from selecting our driver.
> > Which can be arranged very easily. Just set cra_priority to 0 which
> > requires it to be selected explicitly, moving the responsibility to
> > whomever configures the machine.
> >

> So which algorithms that IPsec actually uses on your hardware does
> this issue apply to? Does the hardware implement the complete AEAD
> transform? Or does it rely on software to wire the MAC and skcipher
> pieces together?

Actually, it CAN do the full ESP transform. Plus the IP header processing.
But since that cannot be accelerated yet, I'm happy just to get some AEAD
acceleration going. Perhaps with IV generation pulled in as well.

> > > But I fully understand that dealing with this case in hardware is not
> > > feasible either, and so this approach is what we will have to live
> > > with.
> > >
> > We don't *have* to do anything ... this thing is not set in stone as far
> > as I know. We could actually come up with a real compromise, which this
> > is not. It just requires some flexibility of mind and some good will ...
> >

> The Latin term escapes me, but surely, complaining about the other's
> unwillingness to compromise rather than give actual convincing
> arguments is one of the well known rhetorical fallacies? :-)

I don't know, I'm just an engineer, not a rhetorical mastermind :-)

But you were the one claiming to compromise and I'm just making the
observation that I don't see a whole lot of compromise: it's either
implement every little corner of the algorithms or bust, it seems.

Regards,
Pascal van Leeuwen
Silicon IP Architect, Multi-Protocol Engines @ Inside Secure
www.insidesecure.com