Re: [RFC 1/3] userns: add uuid field

On 11/28/21 20:59, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 05:56:28PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 15:49 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 04:21:29PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 14:47 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 01:00:28PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
On Sun, 2021-11-28 at 09:18 -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
[...]
So given that 'unique per boot' is sufficient, what would be
the problem with simply adding a simple ever-increasing
unique atomix count to the struct user_namespace?
I don't think there is any ... but I equally don't see why
people would want to save and restore the uuid but not the new
monotonic identifier ... because it's still just a marker on a
namespace.
But you've called it "the namespace uuid".  I'm not even really
thinking of checkpoint/restart, just stopping and restarting a
container.  I'm convinced people will want to start using it
because, well, it is a nice feature.
Right, but the uniqueness property depends on you not being able to
set it.  If you just want a namespace label, you can have that, but
anything a user can set is either a pain to guarantee uniqueness
(have to check all the other objects) or is simply a non-unique
label.

If you want to label a container, which could have many namespaces
and be stopped and restarted many times, it does sound like you
want a non-unique settable label.  However, IMA definitely needs a
guaranteed per namespace unique label.

Is the objection simply you think a UUID sound like it should be
Objection is too strong.  Concern.

But yes, to me a uuid (a) feels like it should be generally useful
including being settable and (b) not super duper 100% absolutely
guaranteed to always be unique per boot, as an incremented counter
would be.
OK, but a bunch of cats I found on the Internet agree with me, a UUID
shouldn't be settable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier

The key point being, if you can set the id, it can't be unique ... it
Ok, so can you just put a comment above there saying "this must not
be settable from userspace" ?

So I have been working on an IMA namespacing series again as well and would like to use some sort of unique identifier for audit messages emitted from an IMA/user namespace other than the init_ima_ns. This UUID may just work for this, but how would one associate the UUID with a container if it ever comes to that when evaluating audit logs? Shouldn't it be settable from user space for some sort of 'coordination' between container runtime and kernel?

   Stefan

[Index of Archives]     [Cgroups]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]