Re: [RFC 1/3] userns: add uuid field

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 04:45:47PM +0000, James Bottomley wrote:
> As a precursor to namespacing IMA a way of uniquely identifying the
> namespace to appear in the IMA log is needed.  This log may be
> transported away from the running system and may be analyzed even
> after the system has been rebooted.  Thus we need a way of identifying
> namespaces in the log which is unique.  UUID, being designed
> probabilistically never to repeat, fits this bill so add it to the
> user_namespace which we'll also use for namespacing IMA.

If the logs run across 5 boots, is it important to you that the
uuid be unique across all 5 boots?  Would it suffice to have a
per-boot unique count and report that plus some indicator of the
current boot (like boot time in jiffies)?

[Index of Archives]     [Cgroups]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]