[patch -mm 08/17] nsproxy: add hashtable

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 16:23 +0100, Cedric Le Goater wrote:
> > Even letting the concept of nsproxy escape to user space sounds wrong.
> > nsproxy is an internal space optimization.  It's not struct container
> > and I don't think we want it to become that.
>
> i don't agree here. we need that, so does openvz, vserver, people working
> on resource management.

I think what those projects need is _some_ way to group tasks.  I'm not
sure they actually need nsproxies.

Two tasks in the same container could very well have different
nsproxies.  The nsproxy defines how the pid namespace, and pid<->task
mappings happen for a given task.  The init process for a container is
special and might actually appear in more than one pid namespace, while
its children might only appear in one.  That means that this init
process's nsproxy can and should actually be different from its
children's.  This is despite the fact that they are in the same
container.

If we really need this 'container' grouping, it can easily be something
pointed to _by_ the nsproxy, but it shouldn't _be_ the nsproxy.

-- Dave

[Index of Archives]     [Cgroups]     [Netdev]     [Linux Wireless]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Linux for Hams]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Forum]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux Admin]     [Samba]