Re: Linux client SMB and DFS site awareness

On 01/08, Jacob Shivers wrote:
Hello,

I have a use-case for a Linux SMB client to mount DFS replicated
shares, with a preference for sites that are closer geographically.
DNS site discovery/awareness exists within DFS[0], but I have not read
of any work currently under investigation.

DFS supports referral responses based both on site location and site costing,
which are done on the _server_ (MS-DFSC 3.2.1.1 and 3.2.1.2).

For site location, the targets are sorted with targets on the same site as
the client first, in random order, and then targets outside of client's site
are appended, also in random order.

If supported and enabled, referral responses based on site cost will, practically,
sort the targets from lowest to highest cost (relative to the client,
and in random order if same cost).

On either case, the client will try to connect to the targets in order
it was received.

[0] https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-adts/7fcdce70-5205-44d6-9c3a-260e616a2f04?redirectedfrom=MSDN

I don't see how the info on that link would apply to this particular
scenario, as doing such discovery on the client would be redundant since
the server, if properly implemented, already did it.

Please clarify if you think I misunderstood your case.

Cheers,

Enzo