Linux client SMB and DFS site awareness

Hello,

I have a use-case for a Linux SMB client to mount DFS replicated
shares, with a preference for sites that are closer geographically.
DNS site discovery/awareness exists within DFS[0], but I have not read
of any work currently under investigation.

Is anyone actively working on this issue in any capacity? If so, would
they like help in some capacity whether testing/coding?

If this issue is not being actively engaged is there a reason for
this, e.g. low priority, technical complexity/implementation issues,
or some other reason?

I had searched through mailing list archives and found no prior
mention, but I do apologize if this has been discussed and is a
broadly known discussion point.

Thanks for any feedback,

Jacob Shivers

[0] https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-adts/7fcdce70-5205-44d6-9c3a-260e616a2f04?redirectedfrom=MSDN