Re: multiuser mount without initial mount credentials

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:14:44 -0700
Orion Poplawski <orion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any possibility of removing the requirement to have an initial set of
> credentials when mounting a cifs filesystem as multiuser?  I'd like to have an
> automount driven multiuser configuration without the need to have a separate
> set of credentials just for mounting.  Could we imaging some way for the
> automount process to access a keyring stored credential for use in mounting?

One possibility would be to teach the kernel how to use an anonymous
logon (equivalent to what we do with sec=none) for the initial mount.
That would take a bit of reengineering but it's possible.

Also, if you pass credentials to the mount command then those
credentials will just be used for root access. e.g. something like this:

    sec=ntlmssp,username=foo,password=bar,multiuser

You probably don't want to put that in a mount command, but you could
use a credentials file (see mount.cifs(8)).

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>