Re: pam module to set cifs credentials in key store

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:32:19 -0500
Simo <simo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 15:50 -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> > > I tried to mimic exactly what the cifscreds program does, but I may have made
> > > a mistake.  Or perhaps cifscreds is also doing a bad thing.  The key
> > > permissions are set to:
> > >
> > > #define CIFS_KEY_PERMS (KEY_POS_VIEW|KEY_POS_WRITE|KEY_POS_SEARCH| \
> > >                          KEY_USR_VIEW|KEY_USR_WRITE|KEY_USR_SEARCH)
> > >

> > We're not setting KEY_*_READ, so one cannot read the contents of the key, IIUIC.
>
> My bad, my eyes saw VIEW but read READ.
>
> Simo.

Yep, and furthermore...

These keys are saved as a "logon" keytype (see kernel commit
9f6ed2ca257). Those are basically just like the "user" keytype except
that there is no mechanism to report the payload to userland. So even
if the permissions we such that you could read them, there's no way for
the kernel to do so.

About the only way to get the password out of the kernel would be to
poke around in /dev/mem or the equivalent. Unfortunately, there's not
much we can do about that...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>