Re: DFS referrals

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Let me check.
>>>
>>> It might be that Windows returns the IP addresses of all the DCs in
>>> that domain in that case (and, if Sites and Services has been set up
>>> properly, returns them with the closest ones to you first in the
>>> list.) That is, my mentioning of SRV records might be a red herring.
>>>
>>> In that case, if the first one fails, you should simply try the next
>>> one until you find one that responds.
>>

>> Yes, that's how it works. It then tries to reverse lookup the ip address in
>> order to mount the share. As our reverse DNS Setup is somewhat broken, that
>> part fails. I thought that removing the -t option could be a workaround for
>> that, but as the cifs/domain SPN can only be set on one DC, that's no option
>> to.
>
> Well, more precisely, it needs the name in order to generate a service
> ticket. I don't think Windows cares these days what the called-name
> is.

Do you have a capture?

In my experience, the client has to distinguish between a multi-homed
host and a name that refers to a domain.

In the case of a multi-homed host, Windows (at least Win7/Srv 2008)
does not seem to bother to back-translate the IP address used to
connect to a name.

It simply uses the name presented to look for the SPN and thus
generate the ticket.

That is, if you try to connect to
\\somemhomedname.realm.com\share-name and it turns out that there are
multiple IP addresses for somemhomedname.realm.com windows connects on
one of them but uses somemhomedname.realm.com to find the SPN to
generate the ticket.

I have probably deleted my capture so I don't know if it tries to look
for the SRV records to see if that thing is a domain name.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe