Re: Ubuntu SecurityFlags at boot

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 01:24:57 -0400
"Lott, Christopher M" <clott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you so much for explaining what should have been utterly obvious.
>   It worked perfectly when I did this:
>
> % sudo -i
> # echo 0x30030 > /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags
> # mount -t cifs //myoldtiredserver/lott /mnt
>
> I'm still getting used to using echo for communicating with a kernel
> module but that's just gonna take time :)
>
> On 10/01/2012 09:48 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > The sudo in the above command just covers the echo command. The shell
> > redirection (and hence the write to SecurityFlags) is done as the
> > original user, which is why you're getting EACCES. You probably want
> > to do something like this to ensure that the shell redirection is done
> > as root as well:
> >
> >      $ sudo sh -c "echo 0x30030 > /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags"

No problem, shell redirection is tricky and not always obvious...

If someone asked me to invent the most unintuitive, obfuscated
interface possible for setting up cifs.ko authentication, I'd be
hard-pressed to improve on SecurityFlags. Personally, I'd like to see
that go the way of the dodo.

We ought to have a sane, fixed heuristic that decides what
authentication to use based on the NEGOTIATE_PROTOCOL exchange with the
server. Then, we could just allow people to override that by setting a
sec= mount option.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>