Re: Ubuntu SecurityFlags at boot

I hope it's not too late to reply to this thread from August 2012, and that someone can please find time to explain to me how to set security flags for CIFS.

In a nutshell I'm trying to connect a freshly installed ubuntu 12.04 desktop as a client to get files from an old samba server that demands passwords as plaintext. No printing, nothing fancy, just file service.

Is there still a feature in Ubuntu 12.04 to allow this, possibly by manipulating these security flags?

I'm basically doing just this:

sudo mount -t cifs //myoldtiredserver/lott /mnt

And watching /var/log/kern.log I see this:

Oct 1 18:14:57 cltp kernel: [ 3397.554888] CIFS VFS: Server requests plain text password but client support disabled Oct 1 18:14:57 cltp kernel: [ 3397.616357] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

All attempts to echo a value to a magic file in /proc/fs/cifs such as the one shown below are met with permission denied, even with sudo:

$ sudo echo 0x30030 > /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags
bash: /proc/fs/cifs/SecurityFlags: Permission denied

Please let me know if I'm not asking sensible questions. :/ Thanks in advance for any help!