Re: Linux 3.2.17 and netapp 8.1

On 05/15/2012 03:09 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2012 09:20:14 +0200
VALETTE Eric RD-MAPS-REN<eric2.valette@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 05/14/2012 07:15 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
BTW: I've seen prototype SMB2 support in git tress pushed in october.
Any plan to submit something upstream?

Thanks for your support,

Yes, we're working on it. I think we've come to some consensus on a
basic design and I believe Pavel is now working to forward-port the
previous patches to that design.

OK. Will wait then. Any chance it might helps with the netapp?

In Netapps defense Ontap 8.1 is an early release which are known to be buggy.
Well its been released around february if google can be trusted and what
this says is that netapp don't care about Linux support at all and do
not even perform basic test with linux client. I'm rather sure we asked
about linux compatibility before moving from 7.xx to 8.01.

-- eric

For the record...

The story I've heard in the past (albeit second or third hand) is that
Netapp is not interested in interop with non-windows clients. It's
possible however that this is not the case and my info is wrong. I'm
not a netapp customer, so I don't have a direct line to their support
organization.

If that's not the case, then I'd be more than happy to work with Netapp
to help them eliminate these bugs. They're a frequent source of pain
for users on our mailing lists.

Obviously, their code is closed-source so we can't offer patches, but we
can help them analyze traces and point out protocol errors if it would
help them track down these problems.

Thanks for the offer. Has we (as a large company) do have many netapp filers, some of them working correctly, we may try to put some pressure on them. The current plans are to record wireshark traces and to first submit a formal bug to netapp. Unfortunately, I will probably not be authorized nor capable to make it myself since I'm not in charge of the filer and have no reference on contractual support number.

Then, depending on netapp answer, if I'm still in the loop, I may propose to shorten the loop so that developers on both side have good direct communication channel.

Thanks for your support.

-- eric