Re: Linux 3.2.17 and netapp 8.1

On Tue, 15 May 2012 09:20:14 +0200
VALETTE Eric RD-MAPS-REN <eric2.valette@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/14/2012 07:15 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> >
> > BTW: I've seen prototype SMB2 support in git tress pushed in october.
> > Any plan to submit something upstream?
> >
> > Thanks for your support,
> >

> > Yes, we're working on it. I think we've come to some consensus on a
> > basic design and I believe Pavel is now working to forward-port the
> > previous patches to that design.
> >
> OK. Will wait then. Any chance it might helps with the netapp?
>
> > In Netapps defense Ontap 8.1 is an early release which are known to be buggy.
> Well its been released around february if google can be trusted and what
> this says is that netapp don't care about Linux support at all and do
> not even perform basic test with linux client. I'm rather sure we asked
> about linux compatibility before moving from 7.xx to 8.01.
>
> -- eric

For the record...

The story I've heard in the past (albeit second or third hand) is that
Netapp is not interested in interop with non-windows clients. It's
possible however that this is not the case and my info is wrong. I'm
not a netapp customer, so I don't have a direct line to their support
organization.

If that's not the case, then I'd be more than happy to work with Netapp
to help them eliminate these bugs. They're a frequent source of pain
for users on our mailing lists.

Obviously, their code is closed-source so we can't offer patches, but we
can help them analyze traces and point out protocol errors if it would
help them track down these problems.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>