Re: CIFS shares keep hanging with VirtualBox

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM, Frédéric L. W. <fredlwm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 03:19:13PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Frédéric L. W. wrote:
>> >
>> > I captured a log with 'tcpdump', but I don't think it's of any use. It
>> > stopped logging at 16:01 but the hang happened after that. It didn't log
>> > anything from the problematic 'ls', 'kill -9' and 'umount /mnt/ntfs2'.
>>
>> Maybe capture a log (with netmon on wireshark) on the windows side
>> to see what the trace shows.
>>
>> Presumably some odd networking issue with virtual box, but
>> may  be useful to see which command fails/timesout by
>> looking at dmesg output on the client (running the
>> test after enabling /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI setting it
>> to 7 e.g.).
>>
>> At least with the server returning maxmpx of 50, it is less
>> likely to be the bug with too many outstanding requests.
>
> I noticed that if I change the connection in VirtualBox from NAT to
> Bridged Adapter, the hangs don't occur (at least after about 2h).
>
> Are you still interested in a log from Windows in NAT mode, where the
> hangs happen, or this is definitely an issue / "feature" in VirtualBox ?
>
> What I don't know is if CIFS could do anything to exit gracefully
> instead of deadlocking the application trying to access the share.

I would love to investigate in more detail (obviously if easy cifs
changes can lessen or resolve strange networking problems, we are
all for it) but I have other problems with virtualbox setup at the moment
that make it hard for me to see whether I run into the same issue.

--
Thanks,

Steve