Re: CIFS shares keep hanging with VirtualBox

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 01:51:51PM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:36:27 -0300 Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > I use VirtualBox (4.1.12) on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. The guest is Linux
> > (kernel 3.3.2, cifs-utils 5.3), which I boot directly from a partition.
> >
> > If I use CIFS to access the Windows partitions, the connections
> > constantly hang and the applications to access it deadlock until killed.
>
> Looks like the server just isn't responding to echo requests. Sniffing
> the traffic between client and server might be good to confirm that:
>
>     https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LinuxCIFS_troubleshooting#Wire_Captures
>
> Are you connecting to the CIFS server in windows 7 with this? Or some
> other VMware SMB server thingy?

Yes. It's the same computer. I use VirtualBox in Windows 7 to boot
Linux, which is installed in the same hard drive. Then, in Linux, I use
CIFS to have access to the Windows 7 partitions.

I captured a log with 'tcpdump', but I don't think it's of any use. It
stopped logging at 16:01 but the hang happened after that. It didn't log
anything from the problematic 'ls', 'kill -9' and 'umount /mnt/ntfs2'.