CIFS shares keep hanging with VirtualBox

I use VirtualBox (4.1.12) on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1. The guest is Linux
(kernel 3.3.2, cifs-utils 5.3), which I boot directly from a partition.

If I use CIFS to access the Windows partitions, the connections
constantly hang and the applications to access it deadlock until killed.

For example:

$ cd /mnt
$ ls

It hangs (the share in question is mounted under /mnt/ntfs2).

'ps' returns "3174 pts/0 D+ 0:00 ls --color=auto" and the load average
increases until I 'kill -9' the process.

The only message I get in the logs is "CIFS VFS: Server 192.168.1.64 has
not responded in 300 seconds. Reconnecting..."

After that, the share only works if remounted.

I don't know what's causing it, but it works perfectly from VMware
Player using the same setup, so it looks like a bug in VirtualBox, not
in CIFS ?

This isn't a new issue, as I started using VMware Player in July 2011
after giving up getting CIFS to work reliably with VirtualBox.

I'm attaching a log created with 'echo 7 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI', just
in case it helps, and am willing to do other things to, it not solve it,
at least know what to blame. At 14:26, I killed both 'ls' processes and
unmounted the partition.