Re: cifs ignores sysct setting

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:36:15 +0530
Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/10/2011 03:02 PM, Alexander Swen wrote:
> >
> > Hi Steve and other CIFS developers,
> >
> > please help me with the following:
> > 1. fix the bug I explain below ;-)
> > 2. tell me to what bug tracking system I should to file it to.
> >
> > so, imho this is a bug: when I load the cifs module it insists in setting oplockenabled to 1 while we want to have locking disabled (due to our poormen's nas who's performance sinks to subzero when we do serious io ;-)
> >
> > I've filed this bug at Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=644135
> >
> > I paste all details over here as well:
> > <paste>
> > Package: linux-mage
> > Version: 2.6.32-5-amd64
> >
> > cifs.ko module (which is included in the kernel pkg as far as i know)
> > cifs driver version 1.61
> >
> > when cifs module loads oplock is enabled by default.
> > so I can do
> > echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
> > but that won't persist through a driver reload. so we tried adding this to /etc/sysctl.conf:
> > fs.cifs.OplockEnabled = 0
> > however:
> >
> > root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
> > root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# cat /proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
> > 0
> > root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# modprobe -r cifs
> > root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# tail -1 /etc/sysctl.conf
> > fs.cifs.OplockEnabled = 0
>
> IIUC, CIFS OplockEnabled is not a proper sysctl, it is just a proc
> entry. Sysctls are listed below /proc/sys/ directory.
>
> For e.g. try
>    sysctl -w fs.cifs.OplockEnabled=0
>
> you'll see the error: "/proc/sys/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled: No such file or
> directory". Also,
>
>    sysctl -p
>
> will throw the error: "/proc/sys/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled: No such file or
> directory"
>
> It is not clear to me why do you want to unload and reload cifs module
> often? The general usage is load module during boot or on first use and
> the module lives on till the machine goes down.
>
> I'm not seeing an justification for making it an module parameter. Could
> you please explain more on how it will be useful?

I agree with Alexander on this one...

Making that a module parm would allow you to set that parameter at boot
time without needing to add special startup scripts. IMO, all of the
procfile "switches" under /proc/fs/cifs should be module parms
instead.

That would also allow us to get rid of some of the special procfile
handling code for those files as well.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>