Fwd: cifs ignores sysct setting

Hi Steve and other CIFS developers,

please help me with the following:
1. fix the bug I explain below ;-)
2. tell me to what bug tracking system I should to file it to.

so, imho this is a bug: when I load the cifs module it insists in setting oplockenabled to 1 while we want to have locking disabled (due to our poormen's nas who's performance sinks to subzero when we do serious io ;-)

I've filed this bug at Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=644135

I paste all details over here as well:
<paste>
Package: linux-mage
Version: 2.6.32-5-amd64

cifs.ko module (which is included in the kernel pkg as far as i know)
cifs driver version 1.61

when cifs module loads oplock is enabled by default.
so I can do
echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
but that won't persist through a driver reload. so we tried adding this to /etc/sysctl.conf:
fs.cifs.OplockEnabled = 0
however:

root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# cat /proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
0
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# modprobe -r cifs
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# tail -1 /etc/sysctl.conf
fs.cifs.OplockEnabled = 0
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# lsmod|grep cifs
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# modprobe cifs
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# !l
lsmod |grep cifs
cifs 262528 0
nls_base 6377 3 cifs,nls_utf8,usbcore
root@nl14s0008-vm1:~# !cat
cat /proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
1

So, when I read the modinfo of cifs, there are a few module options, but no oplock option.
I would like to add something like:
options cifs oplocksenabled=0
to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf

Is it feasible to add that param as an option?

I use the cifs 1.61 module on 2.6.32-5-amd64 kernel on Debian 6.0 (Debian 2.6.32-35squeeze2)

</paste>
so, Ben is partly right, me request to add a param option is a wishlist thing, but the behaviour of the sysctl setting is a bug imho.

thanks for your response!
Alex

Met vriendelijke groet,
Alexander Swen

On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 09:46 +0200, Alexander Swen wrote:
> Package: linux-mage
> Version: 2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> cifs.ko module (which is included in the kernel pkg as far as i know)
> cifs driver version 1.61
>
> when cifs module loads oplock is enabled by default.
> so I can do
> echo 0 >/proc/fs/cifs/OplockEnabled
> but that won't persist through a driver reload. so we tried adding
> this to /etc/sysctl.conf:
> fs.cifs.OplockEnabled = 0
[...]
> So, when I read the modinfo of cifs, there are a few module options,
> but no oplock option.
> I would like to add something like:
> options cifs oplocksenabled=0
> to /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.conf
>
> Is it feasible to add that param as an option?
[...]

You should ask the upstream developers (Steve French <sfrench@xxxxxxxxx>
and linux-cifs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) for this feature.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism. - Harrison