Fwd: cifs ignores sysct setting

From: "Alexander Swen" <alex@xxxxxxx>
To: "Suresh Jayaraman" <sjayaraman@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, 10 October, 2011 3:44:47 PM
Subject: Re: cifs ignores sysct setting

Hi Suresh, thanks for your re,

> It is not clear to me why do you want to unload and reload cifs
> module
> often? The general usage is load module during boot or on first use
> and
> the module lives on till the machine goes down.

I don't (want to load cifs often ;-). but I don't want to exec a command to configure cifs once a server starts up). Now, I know I can automate such thing using rc.local etc... but I rather configure those things just as I would configure any other kernel module settings (preferably using modprobe.d/cifs.conf or something similar)

> I'm not seeing an justification for making it an module parameter.

I do: when I load for example a module like bonding I tell it how to behave in with settings which i put into a file called /etc/modprobe.d/aliases:
alias bond0 bonding
options bonding mode=1 miimon=100

> Could you please explain more on how it will be useful?

i would like to change the behaviour of cifs so that oplock is disabled when it loads.

can you follow my way of thinking?

thanks for your cooperation,

Alex