Re: [RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023, at 02:13, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 2/28/23 02:37, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> My intention was to keep Cardbus support working with old defconfig files,
>> and I've not moved CONFIG_CARDBUS into a separate submenu between
>> CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG and CONFIG_PCI_CONTROLLER but left the driver in
>> drivers/pci/hotplug. I think that's the best compromise here, but maybe
>> the PCI maintainers have a better idea.
>
> I did a bit more investigation. My original .config had CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG not
> defined, but did have CONFIG_CARDBUS and the various yenta modules turned on.
> With your changes, the CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG overrode CARDBUS.
>
> I thought mine was a corner case, but now I am not sure. As stated above, the
> Debian 12 factory configuration for ppc32 does not turn on PCI hotplug, but the
> x86_64 configuration for openSUSE Tumbleweed does. The x86_64 configuration in
> Fedora 37 does not contain CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG, but does have CARDBUS set.
>
> It seems that several distros may get the wrong result with this change,

As far as I can tell, this should work with the changes I described
above, since CONFIG_CARDBUS no longer depends on CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG.
I now uploaded the changed version to

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arnd/playground.git/log/?h=pccard-rework-2

    Arnd

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]