Re: [RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023, at 22:09, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 2/27/23 14:38, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> Is this the Cardbus or the PCMCIA version of the BCM4306 device? As far
>> as I understand this particular chip can be wired up either way inside
>> of the card, and the PowerBook G4 supports both types of devices.
>>
>> If it's the PCMCIA version, then dropping support for it was the idea
>> of the patch series that we can debate, but if it was the Cardbus version
>> that broke, then this was likely a bug I introduced by accident.
>
> The BCM4306 is internal, and wired directly to the PCI bus. My understanding is
> that the BCM4318 is a cardbus device. It definitely shows up in an lspci scan.

Ah right, I got confused because I had googled for BCM4306 for too long
trying to find out whether that might be used in combination with the
BCM63xx SoC support that patch 1 removed.

BCM4318 should definitely keep working after my series. My best guess
is that the problem is that I introduced an unnecessary dependency
between CONFIG_CARDBUS and CONFIG_PCI_HOTPLUG, so you'd need to
either undo the dependency or enable both in the local config.

If it's not that, then it's a bug in my changes that needs to be
fixed before they can be considered for integration. As long as
we are still debating whether the series makes sense at all,
I'm not worried about this.

      Arnd

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]