From: mailto:socketcan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 10:49 AM
To: mailto:mkl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; mailto:linux-can@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mailto:kayoub5@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: More flags for logging

On 03.05.21 12:08, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 03.05.2021 12:02:46, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
>> The SocketCAN API is a great initiative for standardizing the CAN
>> interface API. This request tries to extend this initiative for more
>> use cases.
>>
>> Context:
>>
>> The SocketCAN was adopted by libpcap and tcpdump as the standard
>> format for logging CAN Frames in PCAP and PCAP-NG. See:
>>
>> https://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes/LINKTYPE_CAN_SOCKETCAN.html
>> https://github.com/wireshark/wireshark/blob/master/epan/dissectors/pa
>> cket-socketcan.c https://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/c/can.html
>>
>> Problem:
>> Applications that perform logging, usually need more details that
>> normal applications, for the sake of debugging later on. Flags needs
>> to be reserved/allocated in the SocketCAN API, so that logging
>> applications can make use of them in the PCAP format. The flags does
>> not need necessary need to be implemented by SocketCAN, they just
>> need to be marked as reserved for such use case.
>>
>> Needed Flags:
>> FDF Flag
>> - Since CAN Frames and CAN-FD frames can co-exist in the same bus,
>>    logging application needs to know if a normal CAN Frame was
>>    transmitted on a CAN-FD bus, namely was the FDF bit set or not.
>
> I think someone asked for that some time ago. But that was never
> mainlined. I'll look for that old mail.

When you display CAN and CAN FD frames in Wireshark they are displayed as different "protocols" - as they also have different ethtypes.

So the difference is provided by the 'protocol' field. Or did I miss something?

Regards,
Oliver

>> ACK bit in data frame
>> - Some logging hardware can act as a "spy", meaning that it records
>>CAN
>>    Frames, but does not set the ACK bit
>> - A way to know for a given frame (FD or not), was the ACK bit set or
>>    not.
>> - Current API allow detecting missing ACK, but it does not report
>>what
>>    Frame had a missing ACK.
>
> This means the driver has to set a flag if it's configured in
> listen-only mode. That should be possible.
>
> I think we can make use of flags in the struct canfd_frame for this:
>
> | struct canfd_frame {
> |      canid_t can_id;  /* 32 bit CAN_ID + EFF/RTR/ERR flags */
> |      __u8    len;     /* frame payload length in byte */
> |      __u8    flags;   /* additional flags for CAN FD */
> |      __u8    __res0;  /* reserved / padding */
> |      __u8    __res1;  /* reserved / padding */
> |      __u8    data[CANFD_MAX_DLEN] __attribute__((aligned(8)));  };
>
> The struct can_frame doesn't have the flags member yet, but we can add
> it there.
>
> regards,
> Marc

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]