Re: J1939: /proc/net/can interface

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:03 AM, Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/17/20 2:59 PM, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:
>
> > > -   6.  /proc/net/can-j1939 Interface.
> > > -
> > > -
> > > -   Files giving you a view on the in-kernel operation of J1939 are located at:
> > > -   /proc/net/j1939.
> > > -
> > > -   6.1 /proc/net/can-j1939/ecu
> > > -
> > > -   This file gives an overview of the known ECU's to the kernel.
> > > -   -   iface : network interface they operate on.
> > > -   -   SA : current address.
> > > -   -   name : 64bit NAME
> > > -   -   flags : 'L' = local, 'R' = remote
> > >
> > > I am interested in what happened to this feature since I do not see it in the latest implementation or in the documentation?
> >
> > The feature got removed, as (almost) all of the /proc interface
> > for making mainline integration easier.
> > The idea was to restore the required interfaces when necessary.

That's what I thought, thanks!

> ...or rather use something modern and machine readable.
>
> > > I am interested in retrieving "known ECU's to the kernel" in the latest implementation. What is recommended?
> >
> > I understand your question. The simple answer right now is: there isn't.
> > we could debate about this being necessary in /proc,
> > or rather in debugfs,
> > since this knowledge should not be used in real applications?
> > Am I right that your intended use is debugging related?

I think this would be great for debugging and helpful in a development environment but I am being asked to include this feature in production. If you have time, can you please elaborate on why this should not be used in real applications?

> Today we probably want to have a netlink interface to read that information from
> the kernel.
>
> Marc

> Pengutronix e.K. | Marc Kleine-Budde |
> Embedded Linux | https://www.pengutronix.de |
> Vertretung West/Dortmund | Phone: +49-231-2826-924 |
> Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686 | Fax: +49-5121-206917-5555 |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]