Re: Linux J1939: built in-kernel vs. user space stack?

On 6/26/19 11:27 AM, AVERMAETE Kristoff wrote:
> It appears I have made too many assumptions about the load
> distribution: like J1939 configuring the CAN layer as such that the
> major load is handled by CAN, while J1939's job can be limited to
> interpreting only relevant incoming data. Sorry for that.

No problem!

> --> I will dive into the implementation details and probably level up
> about the J1939 protocol too.

> Our goal is to build J1939 modules, dedicated to a single task. Some
> examples:

> displaying certain parameters

I think this would be a normal user space application using j1939 sockets.

> logging J1939 traffic on a line

You can log the complete CAN traffic via tcpdump and/or wireshark
already. If you want to log only certain CAN ids you can write your own
application and use CAN_RAW sockets for this.

> injecting (faulty) messages for testing purposes.

The quick and dirty method would be a user space CAN_RAW application.
The cleaner solution would be to use ttcn-3 for this.

For an introduction, have a look at Harald Welte's talks:

https://media.ccc.de/search/?q=ttcn

> So I will now familiarize better with the linux-can world and have a
> look at eclipse titan. Only then I will be able to have a
> well-founded answer to your reactions.

Looking forward to that!

regards,
Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]