Linux J1939: built in-kernel vs. user space stack?

Hello Kristoff,

as discussed, let's move this discussion to the linux-can mailing list.

regards,
Marc

---

Dear Marc,

Recently I started working with Van Hool, a Belgian touring car
manufacturer that is using the J1939 stack for some of its intelligent
devices.

I would like to introduce a test platform for internal application
development. In search for a solution I discovered your major
contribution to Linux for CAN and J1939.

As a pilot case, I merged your code to a recent Raspberry Pi kernel,
which appears to be working fine at first glance.

Now I have a little question: why was the J1939 stack built into the
kernel? Do you think it would be an interesting contribution if I
isolated the functionality in user space?

That way we could test our application code along with the isolated
J1939 stack on whatever CAN-enabled Linux platform is provided to us.

Do you think this is a bad idea?

Thank you for your opinion!

Kind regards,

Kristoff

Kristoff Avermaete
SBBC Electrical engineering
Van Hool NV

'Tel.  : +32 3 420 27 88
›Mail : kristoff.avermaete@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kristoff.avermaete@xxxxxxxxxx>
üSite  : www.vanhool.be

Beschrijving: cid:image002.gif@01CDF571.77C5E560

DISCLAIMER:

Any email committing our company needs to be approved by the managing
director. This email and its attachments are for the intended addressee
only. If you have received it in error then please delete it and notify
the sender by return email. In case of doubt about correctness or
completeness of this email please contact the sender. Thank you for your
cooperation.
Warning: Any mail sent to this e-mail address is considered as company
mail and can be opened by the Management.
Van Hool conditions are applicable and this without reservation on all
offers, sales, purchases,…

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]