Re: [Linux-cachefs] Preliminary tests

Looking at your different types of speedups, I wonder if some of the benefits of using a hard disk to cache NFS reads can be had with a large amount of swap space. If an NFS-rooted terminal has 512 MB of RAM and an old/cheap hard disk with a 3.5 GB swap partition, would the NFS client use all that (virtual) memory space to do some caching on its own?

I certainly like the cachefs option better, but I'd like to get *something* deployed to speed things up while I dabble with the patching and building of a netbootable kernel to replace that provided by Debian's lessdisks package.

- Ed Suominen

Vaclav Hanzl wrote:
I would expect the following types of speedups:

1st read over network - at network speed or server speed, whichever is
  smaller (it may matter whether data are in server's RAM cache)

2nd read over network - at client's RAM speed for small files, than at
  client's harddisk speed via cachefs

1st read after client's reboot - at client's harddisk speed via
  cachefs

2nd read after client's reboot - at client's RAM speed for small
  files, than at client's harddisk speed via cachefs